Unsafe Wi-Fi can lead to illegal activity. When a person accesses your home Internet connection, the information detected will indicate that you are the owner of the network, since the coordinates it distinguishes are those of your home or business.
Just as you share the wireless network with your family or friends, other people will also acquire your information and use it for illegal actions. If that happens, your data will be involved in the criminal act and you will be responsible for the damage caused.
These attackers are known as cybercriminals and can manage and blame the owner of the network, but also steal not only our data but also the information we transmit for use on the black market.
Changing my Wireless network security settings
New routers or modems are installed by default, so it is important to change them just acquired the new device because other people or malicious neighbors can use our wireless network without us realizing, follow the instructions according to the model of your modem/router from your pc, phone mobile or tablet.
Zyxel C3000Z, C1100Z / Technicolor C2100T, C2000T / Actiontec C1000A
- Launch the URL: "http://192.168.0.1/" in the address bar.
- Behind the router there is a label where you will find the data you need to log in "Administrator Username" and "Administrator Password" then click the "Apply" icon.
- Choose "Wireless Setup".
- Tap the "2.4 GHz" left menu, if available if you do not proceed to the next step.
- Click "Wireless Security".
- For 1. select your "SSID (Network Name)", 2. "WPA - WPA2 Personal", 3. "Both", 4. Check box "Use Custom Security Key/Passphrase."
- Enter your wi-fi key in "Security KeyPassphrase".
- Finally, press "Apply".
How do I reset my modem's default Wi-Fi key?
- First, you need to use a paper clip or needle to press the hole in the back of the router where it says "Reset" for about 15 seconds.
- Wait for it to reset completely until the lights don't flash and connect to your internet again, the passwords will have returned to the default values.
Benefits and disadvantages of technology
Imagine that a hacker enters your wireless network and accesses the information on your devices. He will be able to access your computer, your tablet, your mobile, and that of every person who connects to your Wifi.
All the information will be in the hands of a criminal, because the mere fact of accessing your personal information without authorization, makes him commit a crime.
What would happen if, with that information, the hacker called your most popular contacts and pretended to be you?
We are not exaggerating, having a wireless network without password protection brings serious risks, like these and more. Use a complex password, change it periodically and you'll avoid these kinds of problems.
The internet is freedom, it is a connection with other people around the world, and easy access to information is vital and makes us move faster into the future, the truth is closer to us, remote jobs have increased considerably before it was impossible to think that you could talk by video conference with another person in another part of the world for work issues or just to congratulate him on his birthday.